Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

A question ...

When you sign emails to people that you don't know ... how do you sign them? Because clearly things like "see you around" or "later" or "love" just don't seem quite the write thing to use when you are emailing a professional contact.

I know that lots of people use "cheers" before they sign their emails, but I have always felt that you needed to be English and live somewhere in England for some of your life in order to be able to use that without sounding completely stupid.

Usually I just say "thanks", but 9 times out of 10 I am emailing a professional contact with a question. So saying thanks makes sense to me.

The other day, however, I was emailing a client back in response to a question she had and I felt like writing thanks just sounded weird. What was I thanking her for? Asking me a question? Pointing out a problem that we were already aware of and dealing with? It just didn't seem to fit. But since the only other sign off I could think of to use was cheers, I wrote thanks anyway.

So, I'm putting this out there in hopes that I might find a sign-off that doesn't make me sound like I wish I was from the UK or awkward because I'm thanking someone for nothing.

How do you sign emails to professional contacts that you don't know outside of work?

No comments: